Sewer Back-Up Issues

A lateral is an underground pipe that is part of your home's plumbing system. It carries wastewater from your home to the sewer system. If you own your home, you also own your lateral from the end of your home's plumbing system to the connection with our sewer.

If the sewer lateral at your home or business is plugged, your first course of action should be to call a plumber. Most blockages are found to be in the lateral which is the property owner's responsibility. The owner is responsible for the sewer lateral from their house to the sewer main in the street. If the plumber finds the blockage is in the sewer main, your plumber should contact us at 607-737-6223, so we can discuss the issue with him and check the sewer main. This number is monitored after regular business hours as well.

Sewer Repair / Replacement Permit

If a blockage is found in your lateral, your plumber will be required to obtain a Sewer Repair or Replacement Permit before work can be done. As part of the permit process, we will work with the plumber to be sure the issues are addressed properly and in accordance with Sewer District Use Law. There is no fee for a sewer repair permit. We also require an inspection of the work done before the ground has been closed.