The Commissioner of Human Services directly oversees two county departments, the Department of Social Services and the Department of Mental Hygiene, which includes the Children's Integrated Services Division.
Our Vision is to assist individuals, children, and families in achieving optimal self-reliance by providing tools to create an economically stable, healthy, and safe environment. We achieve this by creating an environment that addresses continual improvement in our system; building an infrastructure that creates the best possible mechanisms for efficient and effective services; having a professional atmosphere that promotes respect for all and earns the confidence and trust of those we serve, including the community at large.
Purpose of the Department
By working in this field of human services, where the expectation is that we will be assisting those who far too often find themselves in times of need, challenges staff to always utilize patience, compassion, and leadership inspiring confidence in the most stressful situations. It is these very special qualities in an individual that we look for in attracting staff to the Chemung County Department of Human Services.
By utilizing this approach, we sincerely hope to meet the needs of Chemung County as they present themselves to our department, with the utmost courteous and professional manner possible.
health.ny.gov/NYRxATTENTION: EBT SCAM ALERT
Your benefits can be stolen through scams like skimming and phishing !!!
Types of Scams
- Card skimming scams directly copy card and personal identification number (PIN) information from EBT cardholders using a device (skimmers) placed on top of a store's card reading machine. The stolen data is used to access your EBT account and spend your SNAP and cash benefits. Skimming can happen anywhere you swipe your EBT card, including automated teller machines (ATMs).
- Phishing scams appear as official and legitimate emails, text messages, or phone calls that try to get you to disclose information about you or your EBT card. Thieves can use this information to access your account and spend your SNAP and cash benefits.
If Your Benefits Have Been Stolen
- Contact EBT Customer Service to report your card stolen and change your PIN—by calling 888-328-6399, by visiting www.connectebt.com, or through the Connect EBT mobile app.
- Contact your local department of social services' fraud unit to notify them that your benefits have been stolen.
- Contact local law enforcement to file a police report.