Welcome to The Chemung County DMV
The Chemung County License Bureau is a Full-Service office. Some of the transactions completed for you are:
- Car Dealers' transactions
- Enforcement transactions (conditional and restricted licenses) bad check payment, DMV fines and assessments
- Issuance of Driver's Licenses of all kinds:
- Commercial operator licenses (Class A,B,C) with endorsements
- Enhanced and RID driver licenses
- Junior operator licenses (Class DJ)
- Reciprocity (transferring from another state to NY)
- Regular operator licenses (Class D)
Note: All of the above transactions will require an original birth certificate with a raised seal, at least 3 other forms of identification with address on one of them.
- Vehicle Registrations, snowmobile, motorcycle, boats, trailers, and more!
- Insurance lapses on all vehicles when paperwork is in order
- License Plate surrenders (a $1.00 fee is charged)
- License Abstracts
- Road test appointments are arranged and can also be completed online
- Transfer of new and used vehicles
- Written tests for Learner Permits (all classes) and Commercial Tests
- Mail or Drop Off your renewals, when payment by mail use a check or our credit card authorization
The License Bureau offers an Express Line for renewals and a drop box in front of the office for transactions which will be returned to you within two to three weeks. If you need sooner please call and we can check for cancellations. Thank you.
Beginning on May 3, 2023, the federal government will require your driver license, permit or ID card to be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight (within the U.S.), or enter military bases and certain federal facilities. You may also use an Enhanced driver license, permit, or non-driver ID or valid U.S. Passport or other identification acceptable to the federal government.