FOIL Request Information

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) pertains to the public's right to gain access to government records. The Application for Access to Records (PDF) may be downloaded and mailed, emailed, or faxed, to the Director of Public Information or you can obtain a copy of this form at the 2nd floor reception desk at the Hazlett Building.

Please note: Birth and death certificates are not available through FOIL. Copies of birth and death certificates may be requested through the Office of Vital Records.

Marriage Records

Marriage records are kept in the Clerk's Offices of the municipality where the original license was obtained (i.e., The City of Elmira). Direct any requests for divorce records to the Supreme Court in the county where the divorce was filed. For divorce records in Chemung County call 607-873-9450.