Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot
US Citizens residing outside of the US or Military voters must fill out a Federal/Military Application. Found on the top left - hand side of this page.
- absence from county election day
- temporary illness or physical disability
- permanent illness or physical disability duties related to primary care of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled
- resident or patient of a Veterans Health administration Hospital
- detention in jail/prison, awaiting trial, awaiting action by a grand jury, or in prison for a conviction of a crime or offense which was not a felony
(If you need an absentee, you will need to submit an absentee ballot application):
Application forms are on the top left - hand side of this page.
Complete the form and mail it to the Chemung County Board of Elections. Applications must be mailed no later than the 15th day before the election or delivered in person no later than the day before the election.
IMPORTANT: Please provide all information to us under Sections 1 through 8. Under Section 2, if you do not specify which election(s) you are requesting, then please provide the dates that you will be absent. If all the information is not filled in, we will not be able to process the application and therefore, you will not receive an absentee ballot.
There are instructions on the back of the application. If you have any questions, then please call our office and we will be glad to help you.
To request an online absentee ballot application https://absenteeballot.elections.ny.gov/
In-Person Absentee Application and Ballot Drop Off Instructions
- Applications and ballots can be dropped off at the Board of Elections: 378 S. Main St., Elmira, during normal office hours of 8:30am- 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday. you can come into the office and hand it directly to our staff at the counter.
- 45 Days Prior to the Election our Secure Absentee Ballot Drop Box will be available 24 Hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Absentee ballots may be dropped off at the BOE until 9pm on Election Day.
- On Election Day, each polling site will have a secured pink Absentee Ballot Drop off bag next to the poll book / check in table. Absentee ballots may be dropped off at your polling site.
Accessible Absentee Ballot Application
If you cannot affirm that you are visually impaired or otherwise disabled you must request a regular absentee ballot using the regular application or portal linked above.
If you are visually impaired or otherwise have a disability such that your disability requires you to use a special accessible absentee ballot that can be read by a screen reader, you have two accessible options to request such a ballot on this page, either using the Accessible Electronic Ballot Application found on the top left - hand side of this page or use the Application Portal .
Voters using the accessible absentee ballot system in need of printing services in order to print their ballot can access such services at certain public printing resources, including but not limited to, libraries, print stores, shipping stores, and office supply stores. Voters should contact their local printing resources for details on the printing services offered. Voters using the accessible absentee ballot system can also print their absentee ballots at the County Board offices.
In-person voting using an accessible Ballot Marking Device (“BMD”) during early voting or on Election Day is still available to voters with a disability who do not want to vote by absentee ballot using the accessible absentee ballot system.
As always, please contact our office with any questions
Due no later than 15 days prior to the Primary and General Elections.
Absentee Voting for Primary Election
- June 13 - Last day for voter to postmark an application for an absentee ballot for primary.
- June 27 - Last day to apply in person for an absentee ballot for primary.
- June 28 - Last day to postmark an absentee ballot for primary. (Must be received at the Board of Elections no later than July 5th, military ballots by July 5th.)
- June 28 - Last day to deliver in person an absentee ballot for the primary to your County Board or your Poll Site, by the close of polls.
Absentee Voting for General Election
- October 24 - Last day for voter to postmark an application for absentee ballot for general election
- November 7 - Last day to apply in person for absentee ballot for the general election.