- Departments P - Y
- Public Health
- Vital Records
- Death Certificates
A Certified Death Certificate or Transcript of Death can be issued to:
- The spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased
- The lawful representative of the spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased
- A person with a New York State court order stating need
- A municipal, state of federal agency when needed for official purpose
- A person with documented proof of legal or medical need (entitlement). All documents showing legal right or claim must address the requestor, the deceased and the reason the certificate is needed.
Ordering death certificates:
Certified death certificates can be ordered on a walk-in basis or by mail or fax. Please note, certificates ordered by mail or fax will be shipped First Class (regular) USPS mail, documents will not be faxed.
To order a certified death certificate by mail or fax:
Qualified applicants may:
- Print and complete the application for a certified death certificate.
- Compose a written request containing the following information:
- Full name as it appears on the death record
- Full date of death
- Full maiden name of the decedent’s mother
- Full name of the decedent’s father
- Indicate if you would like the cause of death removed from the certificate
- Name and mailing address
- Phone number
- A legible photocopy of your qualifying driver’s/non-driver’s license or have your signature notarized.
- Proof of relationship (siblings or children of the deceased only)
- Payment or payment information
- Legal documentation stating entitlement if not a parent, sibling, child, or current spouse of the deceased.
Incomplete or ineligible requests will not be processed; fees are not refundable.
Routinely, certificates are processed and mailed within 2-4 business days.
Contact this office before attempting to use an express mail service as we cannot guarantee immediate processing, limitations and extra fees apply.
Mail requests to:
Chemung County Vital Records
P.O. Box 588
Elmira, NY 14902-0588
For international orders, please include a self-addressed, postage paid envelope.
Fax: 607-737-0437 please allow for transmittal time before calling. You must call this office to verify that your fax was received, is complete and legible, and to provide your credit/debit account information if not included on your application.
Call: 607-737-2018 between 9am and 11:30am or 1pm and 4pm (Easter Standard Time, Mon. thru Fri.)
Certified Death Certificate Application
Note: When an applicant is paying with someone else's credit/debit card, the cardholder must complete a Consent to Charge Credit / Debit Account